subota, 12. ožujka 2016.

Judas Kiss | Work Expirience

This Friday (Mar 11 2016) me and Sophie were given the opportunity to do work expirience with Helen Keelan on the run through for the Judas Kiss theatre production in London. We are both very interested in the wig world and were so excited to some along and see what a wig mistress does.

We met up with Helen at Waterloo and went to pick up a wig from the Alex Rouse studio. Alex wasn't there but her assisstent showed us around and we chatted to some of the women working at the studio about wigs and how they got into the business. Then we went upstairs to Sarah Weatherburn's studio. She specializes in facial hair and did beards for Harry Potter and many other well-known films and theatre productions. We met Sarah herself and talked about knotting and our passion for it. She was so lovely and nice and surprised that we were so into wigs, facial hair and knotting as it is not very common for people to want to get into that side of the industry. She also told us that we should definitely get in touch with her about doing our work expirience there which is great and I would be thrilled if she actually takes me. The atmosphere in both studios was so relaxed and creative. 

We got the wig and went to the American Church at Goodge Street where the production was. We met the cast - Rupert Everett plays Oscar Wilde, the director and makeup and costume designers. This was just a run through of the production so not all cast was in full costumes and wigs. Helen was mostly trying on different wigs on actors to find ones that would suit them best so that she knows which ones to take to Toronto, Canada as that is where they are having the production, and later in New York. 
She used a half wig on the girl that plays the maid and me and Sophie helped putting the rollers in her hair and taking everything out later. 


Wig for Oscar Wilde (Rupert Everett)
Made by Alex Rouse Company
Lace front wig for Oscar Wilde (Rupert Everett)
Made by Alex Rouse Company
Wig for Oscar Wilde (Rupert Everett)
Made by Alex Rouse Company
Wig made by Alex Rouse Company (left) and one made by Darren Wear (right)
Helen styling the wig by Darren Wear
For the actor who plays the Italian fisherman
The "stage"

There is nothing glamurous about wig making - but it was just how I imagined it to be. It was such and interesting and insightful day and I am so greatful to be given a chance to follow Helen around. She is so modest about the work she does, yet she has worked on some amazing productions and films (Wicked, Cinderella etc.). I really have a strong passion for both knotting and applying and styling period wigs. It is a very creative and, for me, relaxing, outlet and I would like to gain as much expirience as I can over the summer as I want to make a wig for my final project. 
Having said that, I really love fashion make up, too, and this is something I've found out doing this current project. The two areas are on the completely different sides of the scale but I want to pursue both and I don't think I should choose between the two. It would be amazing woking on a catwalk fashion show one week, then styling a 19th century wig the next and I can't wait to see where will the industry take me. 

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar