četvrtak, 4. veljače 2016.

Creating A Hairstyle With Heated Rollers | Technical File

In our second technical lesson we had to create a hairstyle with heated rollers. This is a technique tht we will use a lot when working in the industry and it is quite important that we learn how to put them in properly. 
It is all about application, direction and sectioning. The sections shouldn't be wider than the rollers and the rollers should sit right on the roots or the section (to create volume). Also, the hair should be wrapped around the rollers neatly and tight. Good and clean sectioning is important because it allows you to create the best looking curls and you won't be left with random bits of hair. It won't be messy. The direction of the rollers is important: e.g if you want the hair to go away from the face, that is the way you will put the rollers in, or if you want to create an up do, then that is also something you need to thing when placing them (diagonally, vertically, etc.). Brick work is the best way of placing the rollers if you want to avoid gaps between the sections. 
Rollers need to cool down before you take them out otherwise the curls won't stay and you may not get the wanted result. 

I decided to create a voluminous 60's inspired hairstyle. 


Model: Rachel Stonock, 20
Black/ red thick hair, below shoulder lenght
Hair is coloured and has dry/ split ends + dry scalp


My model's hair was slightly greasy so I started by applying dry shampoo to the root area and heat protecting spray on the ends to avoid heat damage. Rachel has short fringe so instead of using rollers, I decided to leave them and blow-dry them at the end. The rollers I used were only red and blue (the largest and second largest). Smaller rollers would create tighter curls and that is not the look that I was going for. 
I sectioned them from the rest of the hair as well as a few sections on the sides which I curled with rollers going inwards. Since I wanted to get a lot of volume at the top I started placing the rollers at the top of her head focusing on the crown area, then worked my way around the head; going to the sides, back and to the nape of the neck. She has very thick hair and the ends are very dry and knotted so it took me a while until I completed the application.



Placing rollers and sectioning

Placing the rollers

Placing the rollers
Full head of rollers - side
Full head of rollers - crown area
Full hed of rollers - back



I am aware that I didn't put the rollers in properly; some sections were too big, some too messy. I was making sure my sections were clean but the roller application wasn't good. 
Anyway, while I was waiting for the curls to set I wet down the fringe and blow-dryed it to the right side. I used a denman brush to get a nice and sleek look.

Then I started taking the rollers out, top first. I backcombed each section as I was taking them out and used a bit aof hairspray for each one. I only did that on the top area.  
I ran my fingers through the curls and placed the hair the way I wanted it to be. I could've brushed the curls out to create a much softer waves, but I really liked the way these big defined curls looked. 


Taking the rollers out / backcombing
After taking the rollers out / Final look

Final look - side

Final look - front
(look created on: Feb 3 2016)


I used heated rollers last semester quite a lot, expecially in my wig work classes and I never really struggled with the application. As a matter of fact, I was actually quite confident about it and it would always be neat and tight. It might be the fact that I haven't used them in a while, the fact that her hair wasn't agreeing with me and was very hard to detangle, or what ever the case might be, today just wasn't my day and next time I have to try harder.
The final look didn't actually look that bad so I am not that disappointed, but I know I can do a lot better than this.

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar